BALI, JALANJALANAJA- Balinese food is unique, not only from its unique taste but also its unique naming. One of them is Betutu Chicken.
Ayam betutu is processed with spices such as lime leaves, lemongrass, bay leaves, turmeric, ginger, shallots, candlenut, and other spices that make the taste richer.
Balinese Indonesian Betutu Chicken Recipe
Betutu is a side dish made from whole chicken or duck filled with spices, then roasted in a husk fire. Betutu is a type of traditional Balinese food whose raw materials are whole carcasses of duck and chicken.
- 700g chicken
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil, for frying
- 2 lemongrass stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Chicken Broth
- 200g cassava leaves, boiled
- 4 lime leaves
- Banana leaves, for wrapping
- 8 red onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 12 curly red chilies
- 2 cm turmeric, roasted
- tsp coriander granules
- 2 cm ginger, grated
- 2 cm galangal, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp oil
How to make:
- Coat the whole chicken with salt and lime evenly. Leave it to soak for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil, saute ground spices and lemongrass until fragrant. Add chicken stock, stir. Lift.
- Take half of the spices, stir together the cassava leaves and lime leaves. Insert it into the stomach cavity of the chicken.
- Spread the remaining ground spices evenly over the entire surface of the chicken. Wrap with banana leaves. Steam for 45 minutes. Lift.
- Bake in a roasting pan with a banana leaf base until browned. Cut the chicken lengthwise into two parts.